All night long the hockey pictures When I thought of daughters
gaze down at you
sleeping in your tracksuit.
Belligerent goalies are your ideal.
Threats of being traded
cuts and wounds
—all this pleases you.
O my god! you say at breakfast
reading the sports page over the Alpen
as another player breaks his ankle
or assaults the coach.
I wasn’t expecting this
but I like this more.
All night long the hockey pictures
When I thought of daughters
— Michael Ondaatje
- heylabodega said: Ondaatje. God, he’s amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever read any of his work—either poetry or prose—and not been flat knocked out by his imagery.
- heylabodega likes this
- aletdownsquid likes this
- acceptanceworld reblogged this from thebronzemedal
- andreabernadette likes this
- shellvetica reblogged this from thebronzemedal
- thebronzemedal posted this